7:05 PM ET, April 11, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: The pregame talk was all about Daisuke Matsuzaka's Fenway Park debut and his matchup with fellow Japanese star Ichiro Suzuki, but Seattle's Felix Hernandez stole the show, taking a no-hitter into the eighth and pitching the Mariners to a 3-0 victory.
• Turning point: Adrian Beltre and Jose Vidro drove in runs in the fifth, handing the Mariners a 3-0 lead and giving Hernandez breathing room.
• Hero: Hernandez, who didn't allow a Boston hit until J.D. Drew singled on the first pitch of the eighth inning. King Felix wound up with a one-hitter and his third career complete game. He struck out six and walked two.
• Figure this: Matsuzaka allowed three runs and eight hits in seven innings, striking out four and walking one
• Quotable: "That was a moment that probably only Daisuke and I could have created. To be in that moment, I'm happy." -- Ichiro Suzuki
• Elias Says: Felix Hernandez threw a one-hit shutout at Fenway Park, and he had a no-hitter going through seven innings against the Red Sox. Hernandez, who turned 21 years old on Sunday, is the youngest pitcher to take a no-hitter through seven innings since the Rangers' Ed Correa had his bid broken up by Willie Randolph with one out in the eighth inning on April 28, 1987, one day before Correa's 21st birthday.
-- ESPN.com news services
Mariners 3, Red Sox 0
In Japan, Johjima was 32-for-118 (.271) against Matsuzaka. ... Drew's eight-game hitting streak is his longest to start a season. ... Suzuki is 0-for-8 in the series with four strikeouts.
Regular Season Series
|Seattle leads 5-4 (as of Wed 4/11)|
|Tue 4/10||@BOS 14, SEA 3||Recap|
|» Wed 4/11||SEA 3, @BOS 0||Box Score|
|Thu 5/3||@BOS 8, SEA 7||Recap|
|Mon 6/25||@SEA 9, BOS 4||Recap|
|Tue 6/26||@SEA 8, BOS 7||Recap|
|Wed 6/27||@SEA 2, BOS 1||Recap|
|Fri 8/3||@SEA 7, BOS 4||Recap|
|Sat 8/4||BOS 4, @SEA 3||Recap|
|Sun 8/5||BOS 9, @SEA 2||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Mariners | Red Sox|
|2nd||Y Betancourt hit sacrifice fly to left, J Guillen scored.||1||0|
|5th||A Beltre doubled to deep center, J Lopez scored, A Beltre to third on throwing error by second baseman D Pedroia.||2||0|
|5th||J Vidro singled to center, A Beltre scored.||3||0|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,630 (98.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||46 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jerry Crawford, First Base - Bill Hohn, Second Base - Brian Onora, Third Base - Phil Cuzzi|