8:05 PM ET, May 1, 2007
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Arlington, Texas
• Summary: Yankees' rookie Phil Hughes tossed a gem Tuesday night, taking a no-hitter into the seventh before leaving with a hamstring injury. He could miss over a month.
• Hero: Hughes made up for his unimpressive debut by giving embattled skipper Joe Torre a huge performance, but now he joins the long list of injured Yankees starters.
• Unsung heroes: Robinson Cano broke out of his recent slump by going 4-for-5 with three RBIs and two doubles. Jorge Posada had three hits, three runs and two RBIs. A-Rod added three hits.
• Figure this: Before Tuesday's win over the Rangers, the Yankees became the first major league team to use five or more pitchers in 10 consecutive games.
• Quotable: "We seem to be getting hit every day." -- Yankees GM Brian Cashman on the slew of injuries
• Cashman on Mike & Mike in the Morning: With Hughes out for an indefinite period, Cashman said the Yankees won't hit the panic button but there remains an urgency to win -- or at least to extricate themselves from last place. Listen
• Elias Says: Hughes was the first pitcher to take a no-hit bid into the seventh inning in his first or second career start since another Yankees pitcher did so in 2003.
-- ESPN.com news services
Yankees 10, Rangers 1
Longtime Yankees broadcaster Bobby Murcer returned to the YES Network booth for the first time since having surgery on a malignant brain tumor in December. "Everything is going along really well for me," said Murcer, who plans to work 50 games this season. ... Yankees CF Johnny Damon sat out but expects to be in the lineup Wednesday. He has been bothered by a bad back and visited a chiropractor in Florida on Monday. ... Derek Jeter extended his hitting streak to 18 games and finished 1-for-4 with two walks. Dating to last season, he's hit safely in 57 of 59 games.
Regular Season Series
|2nd||M Cabrera grounded out to second, J Posada scored, R Cano to third.||1||0|
|2nd||D Mientkiewicz safe at first on error by shortstop M Young, R Cano scored.||2||0|
|3rd||H Matsui grounded into fielder's choice to second, D Jeter scored, A Rodriguez out at second, J Giambi to third.||3||0|
|3rd||J Posada doubled to deep right center, J Giambi scored, H Matsui to third.||4||0|
|3rd||R Cano doubled to right, H Matsui and J Posada scored.||6||0|
|5th||H Matsui doubled to right, A Rodriguez scored.||7||0|
|5th||J Posada doubled to deep center, H Matsui scored.||8||0|
|5th||R Cano singled to center, J Posada scored.||9||0|
|8th||I Kinsler singled to right, H Blalock scored.||9||1|
|9th||D Mientkiewicz safe at first on error by third baseman H Blalock, R Cano scored.||10||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Arlington, TX|
|Attendance||32,310 (67% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||69 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Derryl Cousins, First Base - Kerwin Danley, Second Base - Doug Eddings, Third Base - Dana Demuth|