7:05 PM ET, July 23, 2007
Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
• Summary: Jon Lester's return from cancer couldn't have gone much better as he pitched six strong innings to lead the Red Sox past the Indians.
• Hero: Lester allowed five hits and two runs while walking three and striking out six in his first major league action since Aug. 23.
• Unsung hero: Coco Crisp went 4-for-5 with three runs scored for Boston.
• Figure this: Jake Westbrook gave up four runs in the first and is now 1-6.
• Quotable: "This isn't even about baseball. It just doesn't get any better the way a guy like that comes back to us." -- Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 6, Indians 2
Red Sox DH David Ortiz missed his third straight game after injuring his left shoulder on a slide Friday. Ortiz hit off a tee before the game and plans to take batting practice on Tuesday. "Every day it feels better," he said. Ortiz noted that he got hurt trying to stretch a single by challenging the arm of Chicago right fielder Jermaine Dye. "I've run on him two times and both times I was out, and both times I got hurt," he said. ... Garko extended his hitting streak to 16 games. He's batting .463 over the span. ... Manny Delcarmen pitched three innings for his first career save. ... The Red Sox stopped a six-game road losing streak.
Regular Season Series
|1st||M Ramirez doubled to deep left, C Crisp and D Pedroia scored, K Youkilis to third.||2||0|
|1st||J Drew singled to center, K Youkilis scored, M Ramirez to third.||3||0|
|1st||M Lowell grounded into double play, third to second to first, M Ramirez scored, J Drew out at second.||4||0|
|2nd||K Youkilis singled to right, C Crisp scored.||5||0|
|3rd||G Sizemore homered to right, J Barfield scored.||5||2|
|9th||D Pedroia singled to right center, C Crisp scored.||6||2|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Progressive Field, Cleveland, OH|
|Attendance||32,439 (76.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||72 degrees, overcast|
|Umpires||Home Plate - C.B. Bucknor, First Base - Joe West, Second Base - Ed Rapuano, Third Base - Ed Hickox|