7:05 PM ET, May 28, 2013
Citi Field, New York, New York
More From ESPNNewYork.com
The would-be king of Queens was dethroned for a night. And when it was over, there wasn't much to say to Mariano Rivera but four words he's rarely heard, Ian O'Connor writes. Story
Lucas Duda's RBI single off Mariano Rivera produced another home walk-off win, giving the Mets major momentum with two more tough Subway Series tests ahead, Adam Rubin writes. Story
Dubious First For Rivera
Tuesday night against the Mets, Mariano Rivera blew a save without recording an out for the first time in his 17-year career. A look at his career appearances without getting an out:
|Angels||1-1||Aug. 10, 2008|
|Brewers||1-1||Sept. 26, 1995|
|-- ESPN Stats & Information|
• Stats & Info: Aces Up
Slumping Mets 1B Ike Davis was dropped to eighth in the lineup for the first time in his career. ... Collins said Duda will be the DH at least one of the next two days at Yankee Stadium. ... Gooden, along with fellow Mets greats Darryl Strawberry and John Franco, will play in the All-Star Legends and Celebrity Softball Game on July 14 as part of All-Star festivities at Citi Field. "It will be a lot of fun," Gooden said.
NEW YORK, NY - MAY 28: Hiroki Kuroda #18 of the New York Yankees delivers a pitch in the first inning against the...(Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Regular Season Series
|6th||L Overbay singled to center, B Gardner scored.||1||0|
|9th||D Wright singled to center, D Murphy scored, D Wright to second on throwing error by center fielder B Gardner.||1||1|
|9th||L Duda singled to right, D Wright scored.||1||2|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Citi Field, New York, NY|
|Attendance||31,877 (76% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||60 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Brian O'Nora, First Base - Bill Welke, Second Base - Adrian Johnson, Third Base - Fieldin Culbreth|
How Mets starter Matt Harvey dominated the Yankees:
- Harvey set season highs by recording eight outs and four strikeouts with his slider.
- He registered four strikeouts with his fastball, all coming the pitch immediately after a slider. Entering Tuesday he had just six strikeouts all season that finished slider-fastball.
- Harvey's fastball averaged 95.7 MPH, matching his second-highest average velocity of the season. His fastball has averaged at least 95.0 MPH in each of his last six starts; he had just one start at that velocity among his first five starts of the year.
How Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda dominated the Mets:
- Kuroda threw first-pitch strikes to 19 of 25 hitters, a season-high 76 percent.
- Five of Kuroda's seven strikeouts were with his splitter, his most strikeouts with the pitch in a game this season.
- The Mets swung at 11 of Kuroda's 17 splitters out of the zone (65 percent), the highest percentage by any team against Kuroda this season. Four of Kuroda's five splitter strikeouts came on pitches out of the zone.
Mariano Rivera Career Appearances Without Recording an Out Opponent Batters Faced-Hits Tuesday at Mets 3-3 Aug. 10, 2008 at Angels 1-1 Sept. 26, 1995 at Brewers 1-1
Mariano Rivera has blown a save without recording an out for the 1st time in his career. Tonight was Rivera's 700th save opportunity of his career.
ESPN Stats & Information
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Rumor Central
- Photo Galleries
- Key Dates
- Top 100 prospects
- Ballpark rankings
- Free Agent Tracker
- Hall of 100
- ESPN Home Run Tracker
- All-time WAR
- World Series Timeline
- Postseason Classics