After slow start, UConn outlasts UW in OT in classic dogfight

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Connecticut did everything it could to give
the game away with a season-high 26 turnovers, the final one coming
with the Huskies clutching a two-point lead, seconds away from

The top seed got away with it. In the wee hours of Saturday
morning, a crazy sequence or two decided a game that was sometimes
miserable to watch and occasionally downright laughable.

Connecticut rallied from an 11-point second-half deficit, got a
break on an opponent's silly foul and forced overtime on Rashad
Anderson's 3-pointer with 1.8 seconds left in regulation. Then the
Huskies of the Big East held off the foul-depleted Huskies from the
Pac-10 in the extra period for a 98-92 victory and a place in the
NCAA's round of eight.

"Of 1,100 basketball games I've been fortunate to be involved
with, I've never been involved in anything like that," UConn coach
Jim Calhoun said.

And, to be sure, he hopes he never sees the likes of it again.
Marcus Williams, who committed seven turnovers and got an earful
from the coach during a first-half timeout, recovered to score a
career-high 26 points as Connecticut advanced to regional finals
for the sixth time in 12 years. UConn (30-3) will play for a spot
in the Final Four on Sunday against 11th-seeded George Mason.

Calhoun warned on Thursday that his Huskies were "a team of
lapses," and was he ever prophetic. UConn committed nine turnovers
during a miserable 5½-minute spell at the start of the second half,
but Washington was unable to take full advantage.

"We probably made some of the most boneheaded plays we've made
all season," Williams said.

But the game hinged on two wild series of events. Washington led
by 78-72 with 1:53 to play in regulation -- and 80-76 with 21
seconds left -- and obviously no longer wanted to foul, but Mike
Jensen was whistled for contact on Williams on a layup with 11
seconds remaining. The shot went in, and Williams made the free
throw for a three-point play that made it a one-point game.

"We did not want to foul him," coach Lorenzo Romar said. "We
wanted to try to keep him in front of us. Obviously that was a big
play, and the game seemed like it was definitely going to go our

Washington's Brandon Roy was then fouled and made two free
throws with 7.9 seconds remaining. That made it a three-point game,
and there was time enough left for Anderson to launch the
game-tying shot, a basket Calhoun called "miraculous" and "one
of the best shots we've had in a very long time."

Then came the giveaway-giveaway finish in overtime. Rudy Gay,
taking the ball out of bounds with UConn leading by two and 16
seconds remaining, committed his team's 26th turnover when his
inbounds pass was intercepted by Ryan Appleby. But Appleby passed
to Joel Smith, who threw the ball right back to UConn. Williams
picked off the pass, was fouled, and then made both free throws
with 11.3 seconds to play.

"We made every possible bad play that we could, and that has a
lot to do with Washington," Calhoun said.

The tight finish evoked memories of 1998, when Connecticut beat
Washington by one point on a buzzer-beating shot by Richard
Hamilton in the same round of the tournament.

Connecticut had nearly as many turnovers (26) as made field
goals (27) and has yet to hit its stride in this tournament. UConn
had to rally from 12 points down to beat 16th-seeded Albany in the
first round and struggled to hold off Kentucky in the second round.

Senior Jamaal Williams came off the bench to score a career-high
27 points, including the first 3-pointer of his college career, to
lead fifth-seeded Washington (26-7), which had four of its seven
losses come in overtime this season. The Pac-10 Huskies failed to
hold a 10-point lead with 15 minutes to play and began to run out
of players down the stretch: Two fouled out in regulation, and
three more in overtime.

Anderson rescued Connecticut with his 3-point shooting. He made
two in the final 35 seconds and finished with 19 points, making 5
of 10 3-pointers. Josh Boone added 13 points and 11 rebounds for
Connecticut, which had only a 42-38 rebounding advantage over a
much smaller opponent. Gay scored 11 of his 12 in the second half.

Roy scored 20 points for Washington. The Pac-10 player of the
year missed vital time in the second half after he and Gay went
chest-to-chest and received double technicals. Roy also got a
personal foul on the play, giving him four fouls and forcing him to
the bench for several minutes.

"Overall, there was a period where we lost our composure as a
group," Romar said. "That was a stretch where the momentum kind
of shifted. It wasn't just Brandon's technical. We started to get a
little rattled as a group."

ESPN Fan Shop Powered By

  • Nike Men's UConn Huskies Blue ELITE Basketball KO Performance Pullover HoodieShop