9:37 PM ET, March 27, 2009
INDIANAPOLIS -- Kalin Lucas couldn't shoot straight for 39 minutes. He made up for those misses in a hurry.Lucas scored seven points in the final 49 seconds, including 5-for-5 on free throws, to help Michigan State rally for a 67-62 win over defending national champion Kansas Friday night in the Midwest Regional semifinals.
• Michigan State rallied from an eight-point halftime deficit, holding Kansas to 26 second-half points and advancing to the Elite 8.
• Tom Izzo improved to 23-3 as a higher seed in the NCAA tournament.
• The Spartan bench outscored Kansas 23 to 7.
• Goran Suton (20) and Kalin Lucas (18) were the only Spartans in double figures.
• Michigan State is 8-0 all time as a No. 2 seed.
• Sherron Collins led Kansas with 20.
-- ESPN research
Can Kalin Lucas, depth, help Michigan State hang with Louisville? Story
Forde: SpartanesqueMichigan State's season was slipping away. But the Spartans did what they do best and are now 40 minutes away from Detroit, writes Pat Forde. Story
Paint By The Numbers
Michigan State put a fence around the painted area in the second half against Kansas, limiting the Jayhawks to two points on just two attempts.
|1st Half||2nd Half|
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-53 (.453)||23-59 (.390)|
|3P Made-Attempted||3-12 (.250)||5-15 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||11-13 (.846)||16-17 (.941)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||17 (0/0)||16 (0/0)|
|» Mar 27, 2009||@MSU 67, KU 62||Recap|