7:00 PM ET, December 30, 2010
The Pavilion, Villanova, Pennsylvania
VILLANOVA, Pa. -- Leave it to a Philly guard to push Villanova to a big victory against a city rival.Maalik Wayns had 21 points and eight assists, and the No. 8 Wildcats won a heavyweight showdown with Temple (No. 25 AP), beating the Owls 78-74 on Thursday night.Wayns helped the Wildcats (11-1) squash any chance of a second straight upset loss to the Owls. The unranked Owls stunned No. 3 Villanova last season and both teams were fired up this week for the rematch."I grew up with a lot of those guys, know those guys from high school, and last year they had the bragging rights for the whole year," Wayns said. "Now, I get to brag back to them."
Solid, if not pretty
Thursday's game had all the grace of a rugby match, but Villanova was able to persevere when its game plan was challenged, writes Dana O'Neil. Blog and video
• The Wildcats swept the Big 5 schedule, their eighth 4-0 season against local rivals, tying them with St. Joseph's for most all-time.
• Villanova has won six straight against the Owls at the Pavilion and 43 games in a row overall at the campus facility.
• Corey Stokes made 5 of 8 from beyond the arc while the rest of his team shot 0 for 8.
• Corey Fisher had five points, his third game with five or fewer points this season.
• Temple had its six-game win streak snapped.
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||22-54 (.407)||25-56 (.446)|
|3P Made-Attempted||10-21 (.476)||5-16 (.313)|
|FT Made-Attempted||20-30 (.667)||23-29 (.793)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (0/0)||22 (0/0)|
|» Dec 30, 2010||@VILL 78, TEM 74||Recap|
Next 5 Games
Nova's win over Temple clinches a Big 5 title as they go 4-0 against their city rivals. It's the 8th time in Villanova history that they've gone 4-0 in City Series play. That ties them with their rival, the St. Joe's Hawks, for most in Big 5 History.[+]
Most 4-0 Seasons in City Series Play - Philadelphia Big 5 History
ESPN Stats & Information