9:00 PM ET, February 9, 2011
Cameron Indoor Stadium, Durham, North Carolina
Nolan Smith rallies No. 5 Duke past No. 21 North Carolina in second half
DURHAM, N.C. -- Duke's most hated rival was running the Blue Devils off their notorious home court, so Mike Krzyzewski gathered them around at halftime and gave them a locker-room speech.Not to fire them up. To calm them down.Nolan Smith scored 22 of his career-high 34 points after halftime, Seth Curry finished with a season-high 22 and No. 5 Duke rallied from 16 points down to beat North Carolina (No. 21 ESPN/USA Today, No. 20 AP) 79-73 on Wednesday night.
• After trailing by 14 points at the half, Duke outscored North Carolina 50-30 in the second half to win its third straight in the series and 100th overall (UNC leads the all-time series 130-100).
• Nolan Smith scored a career-high 34 points, his third 30-point game of the season and his fifth straight game with at least 20 points.
• Kyle Singler extended his streak of consecutive ACC games with at least 10 points to a conference-best 22 games.
• Duke's 14-point halftime deficit was its largest against North Carolina since 1997-98.
• Duke extended its home win streak to 33 games, the longest active home win streak in the nation. The Blue Devils are 62-2 at home since the start of the 2007-08 season, with the only two losses coming to North Carolina.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Nolan Smith Catches Fire
Nolan Smith became the sixth Duke player in the past 15 years to score 30 points against North Carolina.
30 points vs. North Carolina
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||29-68 (.426)||28-68 (.412)|
|3P Made-Attempted||2-14 (.143)||8-26 (.308)|
|FT Made-Attempted||13-22 (.591)||15-23 (.652)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (0/0)||16 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
Atlantic Coast Conference Standings
Tyler Zeller's 24-point, 13-rebound game shouldn't be lost in defeat. He is the 5th Carolina player in the last 15 seasons to finish with at least 20 points and 10 rebounds at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The four previous players to do it each won AP All-American honors the same season as their big game at Duke.[+]
At Least 20 Pts and 10 Reb at Duke - UNC Players, Last 15 Seasons
Kyle Singler had 10 points vs UNC, his 118th career double-digit scoring game. He ties Mark Alarie and Christian Laettner for the 3rd-most such games in Duke history.[+]
Most Double-figure Scoring Games
ESPN Stats & Information