7:00 PM ET, March 2, 2011
WVU Coliseum, Morgantown, West Virginia
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia's late defensive clampdowns in two straight games have the Mountaineers in contention for a first-round bye in the Big East tournament.Kevin Jones scored 13 of his 15 points in the second half, West Virginia held No. 16 Connecticut to two field goals over the final 10 minutes and the Mountaineers beat the Huskies 65-56 on Wednesday night.
• West Virginia earned its 1,600th win in school history and the Mountaineers beat Connecticut in the regular season for the first time since 2006.
• West Virginia is 47-8 at home under Bob Huggins (27-8 in Big East play).
• Joe Mazzulla tied a career high with 18 points to lead the Mountaineers.
• Connecticut has lost three of its last four games after winning three of four.
• Freshman Shabazz Napier came off the UConn bench to score 18, tied for the second most points he's scored in a game.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||22-59 (.373)||22-47 (.468)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-20 (.350)||5-12 (.417)|
|FT Made-Attempted||5-7 (.714)||16-24 (.667)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||15 (0/0)||14 (0/0)|
|» Mar 2, 2011||@WVU 65, CONN 56||Recap|