4:00 PM ET, March 5, 2011
Kimbel Arena, Conway, SC
UNC-Asheville beats top-seeded Coastal Carolina to win Big South tournament
CONWAY, S.C. -- North Carolina-Asheville's Matt Dickey buried a game-winning 3-pointer that rocked Coastal Carolina's season 11 days ago.On Saturday, he buried a 3 in the same basket to break the Chanticleers' hearts.Dickey's shot from behind the arc with 1:39 left put the Bulldogs up seven and sent UNC-Asheville to a 60-47 victory over top-seeded Coastal Carolina in the Big South Conference title game.
• The Bulldogs advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in school history and first since 2003.
• UNC-Asheville won its third Big South tournament title, after also winning the championship in 1989 and 2003.
• UNC-Asheville has won 6 straight games.
• Chris Stephenson led the Bulldogs with 14 points and Jaron Lane added 13 points off the bench.
• Top-seeded Coastal Carolina lost in the title game for the second straight year.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Tournament Automatic Bids
Teams that have clinched automatic bids to the 2011 men's NCAA tournament:
|Morehead State||Ohio Valley|
|Indiana State||Missouri Valley|
|Arkansas-Little Rock||Sun Belt|
|Northern Colorado||Big Sky|
|Boston University||America East|
|San Diego State||Mountain West|
|UC Santa Barbara||Big West|
|Ohio State||Big Ten|
Big South Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-61 (.393)||16-47 (.340)|
|3P Made-Attempted||2-11 (.182)||3-16 (.188)|
|FT Made-Attempted||10-15 (.667)||12-19 (.632)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (1/0)||16 (1/0)|