5:30 PM ET, March 10, 2011
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
LOS ANGELES -- Derrick Williams hit his first 3-pointer, then his second 2½ minutes later, completely unfazed by the yawning backdrop of Staples Center.He kept on connecting from long range, scoring 22 points and propelling Arizona (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 16 AP) to a 78-69 victory over Oregon State in the Pac-10 tournament quarterfinals Thursday."It's just a confidence thing," Williams said. "Every time I make my first one, most of the time I make my second one. That's what I was just feeling throughout the game. I hit big shots when we needed it. Just trying to break the game open, and I just took good shots."
• Top seed Arizona advanced to face USC in the Pac-10 semifinals Friday.
• Arizona won a Pac-10 tournament game for the first time since beating Oregon State in the first round of the 2008 tournament. It's Arizona's 18th win in the tournament, the most of any school.
• The Wildcats have won three straight following a two-game losing streak.
• Jared Cunningham led all scorers with 23 points, one shy of his career high.
• Derrick Williams, averaging 13 points over his previous four games, scored a team-high 22.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||28-55 (.509)||29-61 (.475)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-15 (.467)||11-21 (.524)|
|FT Made-Attempted||6-16 (.375)||9-13 (.692)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||15 (1/0)||17 (1/0)|