9:42 PM ET, March 11, 2011
Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC
Official review reverses Virginia Tech's fortune, knocks out Florida State
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Seth Greenberg told his Virginia Tech players something special would happen for them against Florida State.When it was over, the coach had tears rolling down his cheeks while the Hokies celebrated around him on the court after a stunning finish.Erick Green hit the go-ahead jumper with 4.7 seconds left, while Derwin Kitchen's desperation shot at the buzzer was waved off as Virginia Tech edged the Seminoles 52-51 in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament Friday night.
• Derwin Kitchen appeared to win the game for Florida State with a jumper at the buzzer, but the referees reviewed the play and ruled that the shot was released after time had expired.
• Erick Green hit the winning shot with 7 seconds left. He had missed 11 of his first 12 field-goal attempts before making the shot.
• Virginia Tech won despite shooting 31.5 percent from the floor.
• Florida State fell to 3-3 since Chris Singleton was sidelined with a broken foot.
• The Hokies advanced to the semifinals of the ACC tournament for the first time since 2008.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||17-54 (.315)||23-49 (.469)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-22 (.273)||4-15 (.267)|
|FT Made-Attempted||12-21 (.571)||1-5 (.200)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||14 (0/0)||20 (0/0)|