9:48 PM ET, March 11, 2011
Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
NEW YORK -- Louisville was in bad shape at halftime. The Cardinals were in foul trouble most of the second half. After dominating in overtime, they're in the Big East championship game for the second time.Preston Knowles, despite playing the final 10 minutes of regulation and overtime with four fouls, scored 20 points to rally No. 14 Louisville to an 83-77 victory over No. 4 Notre Dame on Friday night.
Preston Knowles Never Lets Up
Even when he's too tired to raise his head on the bench, Preston Knowles hustles on the court, writes Dana O'Neil. Blog
• Preston Knowles scored 20 points to lead Louisville, which trailed by 14 at the half.
• With the earlier Syracuse-Connecticut game, both Big East semifinals went to overtime for the first time.
• The Cardinals will try for their second Big East tournament championship, having also won it in 2009.
• Both Knowles and Peyton Siva each played the final 10 minutes of regulation and OT with four fouls.
• Notre Dame was playing in the semifinals for the second straight season and fourth time overall. The Irish have never made it to the title game.
• After shooting 57 percent in the first half, the Irish shot just 28.5 percent after halftime.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||28-73 (.384)||25-58 (.431)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-23 (.304)||8-24 (.333)|
|FT Made-Attempted||20-25 (.800)||19-25 (.760)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||21 (0/0)||22 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
ACC Conference Standings
NEXT-LEVEL: Through Notre Dame's first three halves at the Big East Tournament, the Irish's offense was as good as its been all season. Against Cincinnati, Notre Dame averaged 1.48 points per possession, the highest the Irish have scored in any game during the last 15 years. That continued in the first half against Louisville, but then the Irish's luck ran out. Luck Runs Out Notre Dame Offense - Last 2 Games 2nd Half/OT 1st 3 Halves vs Louisville Pts per half 45.0 31 Poss per half 30.7 40 Pts per poss 1.47 0.78
NEXT-LEVEL: After a stellar opening half offensively, Notre Dame saw a much more active Louisville defense in the final 25 minutes. The Cardinals had only two deflections in the first half, but eight in the final 25 minutes, helping them overcome a 14-point halftime deficit. Notre Dame Half-Court Offense Friday vs Louisville 1st Half 2nd Half/OT FG 15-28 6-23<< 3-pt FG 5-10 3-13 TO 4 6 Pts per poss 1.41 0.70 >>Abromaitis, Hansbrough combined 2-11 FG
ESPN Stats & Information