12:00 PM ET, March 11, 2011
Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
INDIANAPOLIS -- For the second straight year, Ohio State barely avoided a stunning upset in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten tournament.Jared Sullinger had 20 points and 18 rebounds as the top-ranked Buckeyes beat Northwestern 67-61 in overtime Friday. Last year, Evan Turner's 37-foot shot at the buzzer lifted Ohio State past rival Michigan."During the first half, we were talking as coaches," Ohio State coach Thad Matta said. "We can't make a shot. It's this way every year we come over here in the first game."
• The Buckeyes picked up their 30th win, the second 30-win season in school history after 2006-07.
• Ohio State has won five in a row and will play Michigan in the semifinals.
• Jared Sullinger scored 16 of his team-high 20 points from the free throw line -- including 10 of 10 in overtime. He shot 2 of 12 from the field. Sullinger also had 18 rebounds, one shy of his season high.
• Northwestern is 2-12 this season when scoring fewer than 70 points.
• Both teams finished with 19 field goals; OSU outscored Northwestern at the free throw line 26-16.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Big Ten Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||19-51 (.373)||19-59 (.322)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-21 (.333)||3-15 (.200)|
|FT Made-Attempted||16-18 (.889)||26-32 (.813)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||23 (1/0)||16 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
Big Ten Conference Standings
Ohio State had just 3 assists in its win over Northwestern Friday. The Buckeyes have recorded fewer than 3 assists in a game just once over the last 15 seasons -- a 69-51 loss to Indiana on January 21, 2003. It is the fewest assists they've had in a WIN over the last 15 seasons. The previous low was 6, done 5 different times over the last 15 seasons.
ESPN Stats & Information