9:00 PM ET, March 12, 2011
Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
UConn wins fifth game in five days to earn Big East tournament title
NEW YORK -- It was time for Kemba Walker to be honest. He had the MVP trophy and a piece of the net. His team had won the Big East tournament with what may be the most impressive five days a player and team have ever had in college basketball."Now that's it over I can definitely tell you I was tired. With about 2 minutes left I was gassed," he said with a smile that appropriately looked tired. "I just wanted to win this game so bad my heart took over."
O'Neil: Kemba Pulls UConn Through
Five wins in five days? Kemba Walker powered through it all and willed UConn to the top of the Big East dogpile, writes Dana O'Neil. Blog
• Connecticut won its seventh Big East tournament title and first since 2004.
• Kemba Walker's 19 points brought his total to 130 points for the tournament, a record for a single player in any conference tournament in the past 15 seasons.
• UConn became the first school to win five games in five days to earn a conference championship.
• Connecticut's seven Big East titles pulls it into a tie with Georgetown for the conference's most.
• Preston Knowles had 18 points to lead Louisville, which was facing Connecticut in the Big East tournament for the first time.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Big East Title a Good Omen
UConn has won seven Big East tournaments. In the six previous years, after winning the tournament they have advanced at least to the Sweet 16 and won the NCAA title twice.
UConn After Winning Big East Tournament
|Year||NCAA Tournament Result|
|2004||Won national championship|
|2002||Lost in Elite 8|
|1999||Won national championship|
|1998||Lost in Elite 8|
|1996||Lost in Sweet 16|
|1990||Lost in Elite 8|
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||23-55 (.418)||26-58 (.448)|
|3P Made-Attempted||3-11 (.273)||7-25 (.280)|
|FT Made-Attempted||20-23 (.870)||7-10 (.700)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||14 (0/0)||19 (0/0)|