3:30 PM ET, March 13, 2011
Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN
Jared Sullinger helps Ohio State repeat as Big Ten tournament champions
INDIANAPOLIS -- Jared Sullinger's shot was off throughout the Big Ten tournament -- and he still dominated.The freshman forward had 15 points and 11 rebounds, and No. 1 Ohio State defeated Penn State 71-60 in the Big Ten tournament final on Sunday.Sullinger made just 12 of 36 field goals in the tournament, but he still was named most outstanding player. He averaged 16.3 points and 14 rebounds to help the top-seeded Buckeyes (32-2) repeat as champions.
• Ohio State won consecutive Big Ten tournament titles, the first team to do so since Michigan St. in 1999 and 2000.
• The Buckeyes are the fourth top seed in the past five seasons to win the Big Ten tournament.
• Ohio State has won four tournament titles, the most in the Big Ten, though the 2002 title was vacated because of NCAA sanctions.
• Jared Sullinger had 15 points and 11 rebounds. He posted double-doubles in all three Big Ten tournament games.
• Talor Battle scored 24 points for Penn State, his most points in the three matchups against Ohio State this season.
• The Nittany Lions missed out on their first Big Ten tournament title and first conference tournament title of any kind since 1991, when they won the Atlantic 10.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Big Ten Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||22-56 (.393)||26-51 (.510)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-18 (.389)||7-16 (.438)|
|FT Made-Attempted||9-9 (1.000)||12-20 (.600)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||17 (0/0)||9 (0/0)|