1:40 PM ET, March 17, 2011
Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado
Demonte Harper's 3-pointer with seconds left lifts Morehead State past Louisville
DENVER -- On the verge of seeing his unheralded, 13th-seeded Morehead State program turn into something much more impressive, the coach could have called a play for his NBA-bound center or his guard who couldn't miss.Instead, he decided to go with a dream.Executing a play that came to his coach the night before, Morehead State's Demonte Harper dribbled patiently and watched the clock tick down. Then, he stepped up behind the 3-point line and swished the shot with 4.2 seconds left Thursday for a 62-61 victory over No. 4 Louisville and the first big upset of the NCAA tournament.
Keep Dreaming, Morehead State
Demonte Harper's game-winning shot made a dream come true for his coach against an in-state rival, writes Diamond Leung. Blog
• Demonte Harper hit a 3-pointer with 4.2 seconds left to pull off the upset over Louisville. Harper was 0 for 5 from long range before the shot.
• Morehead State advanced to the round of 32 for the first time since the tournament expanded to 64 teams.
• A 13-seed defeated a 4-seed for the fourth straight tournament. A Big East team lost to a 13-seed for the third time in the round of 64.
• Terrance Hill led Morehead State with a career-high 23 points and Kenneth Faried finished with 12 points and 17 rebounds for his 28th double-double of the season.
• Louisville was outrebounded 41-29. In eight of Louisville's 10 losses this season, the Cardinals have been outrebounded.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||21-57 (.368)||22-48 (.458)|
|3P Made-Attempted||9-19 (.474)||10-25 (.400)|
|FT Made-Attempted||11-18 (.611)||7-16 (.438)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||13 (0/0)||18 (0/0)|
|» Mar 17, 2011||MORE 62, @LOU 61||Recap|
Richmond's win over Vanderbilt, combined with Morehead State's victory over Louisville, sets up the ninth 12-vs-13 game since 13-seeds came into existence through expansion in 1985. The most recent such game was in 2009, when Arizona defeated Cleveland State. There were two 12-vs-13 games in the 2008 tournament. Only once in the previous eight attempts has the 13-seed defeated the 12-. That was Valparaiso over Florida State in 1998.
What a difference 2 years makes. In the Round of 64 in 2009, Morehead State lost to Louisville by 20. This year, the Eagles return the favor. It's the 3rd straight NCAA Tournament appearance that the Eagles have won at least a game. Kenneth Faried had a double double in both games and now has 85 in his career, the 2nd most in Division I history.[+]
Morehead State - Last 2 NCAA Tournament Games
Both West Virginia and Louisville have started out slow and trailed by 10 or more points in the 1st half of their 2nd round matchups but closed the half on a run to end up tied. The Mountaineers went on to win, 84-76.[+]
WE SHALL OVERCOME? - WEST VIRGINIA, LOUISVILLE IN 1st HALF
ESPN Stats & Information