9:45 PM ET, March 17, 2011
Verizon Center, Washington, DC
WASHINGTON -- Nearly 11 minutes without giving up a field goal. Yep, Cincinnati's still got that great defense.Big guy Yancy Gates on the perimeter taking -- and making -- 3-pointers. Now that's a bit unusual.Cincinnati's return to the NCAA tournament after a six-year absence is off to a successful and memorable start. The No. 6 seed took the lead for good midway through the first half Thursday night and turned Missouri's "Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball" into a slow-moving train in a 78-63 victory over the No. 11 seed.
• Yancy Gates scored 18 points to go with 11 rebounds as Cincinnati advanced to the round of 32 for the first time since 2005.
• The Bearcats have won at least one game in the NCAA tournament in three straight appearances and 11 of its past 12.
• Cincinnati won its 26th game of the season, its most since winning 31 games in 2001-02.
• The Bearcats shot 53 percent from the floor while holding Missouri to 37 percent shooting, including 31 percent from beyond the 3-point line (6 of 19).
• Cincinnati plays Connecticut next, the first time since the field expanded in 1985 that two teams from the same conference will face each other before the Sweet 16.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
NCAA Mens Tournament
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||24-63 (.381)||29-54 (.537)|
|3P Made-Attempted||6-19 (.316)||4-11 (.364)|
|FT Made-Attempted||9-13 (.692)||16-22 (.727)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||17 (0/0)||15 (0/0)|
|» Mar 17, 2011||@CIN 78, MIZZ 63||Recap|