9:17 PM ET, March 18, 2011
Bank of Oklahoma Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
TULSA, Okla. -- All those late-season struggles are behind Mike Davis and Illinois. The NCAA tournament is all that matters now.Davis tied his season high with 22 points, Demetri McCamey added 17 points and seven assists and Illinois dominated UNLV 73-62 Friday night to set up another meeting between Fighting Illini coaches past and present in the Southwest region of the NCAA tournament.
• Illinois shot 59.6 percent from the field and got its highest-seeded win ever in the NCAA tournament.
• Illinois had lost in the round of 64 in its previous two tournament appearances.
• Mike Davis had his sixth double-double of the season with 22 points and 11 rebounds, both game highs.
• UNLV lost back-to-back games for just the second time this season.
• Illinois moves on to face Kansas and Bill Self on Sunday, its second straight game against a former coach. Illinois has never beaten a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||28-47 (.596)||21-54 (.389)|
|3P Made-Attempted||7-13 (.538)||7-24 (.292)|
|FT Made-Attempted||10-14 (.714)||13-19 (.684)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||17 (0/0)||16 (0/0)|
|» Mar 18, 2011||ILL 73, @UNLV 62||Recap|
The win for Illinois is the program's first ever in the NCAA tournament when seeded lower than 6th. The Fighting Illini move on to face a Kansas team which lost in the Round of 32 last year to 9th-seeded Northern Iowa... Who.. Wait for it... ALSO beat UNLV it its opening game.
ESPN Stats & Information