5:15 PM ET, March 19, 2011
Pepsi Center, Denver, Colorado
DENVER -- Richmond plays the role of favorite pretty well, too.The program, which made its name by bouncing everyone from Barkley to Boeheim out of the tournament over the decades in a string of upsets, defeated No. 13 seed Morehead State 65-48 on Saturday to advance to the round of 16 for the first time since 1988.As the better seed and a four-point favorite, this was one the 12th-seeded Spiders were "supposed" to win, and they did -- with ease.
• Richmond advanced to the Sweet 16 for the second time as a 12-seed or lower. The Spiders won their eighth game as a 12-seed or lower.
• In the nine matchups between 12 and 13 seeds, the 12-seeds are now 8-1 in the round of 32.
• A 12-seed reached the Sweet 16 for the fourth straight year.
• Kenneth Faried finished with 11 points and 13 rebounds, his 86th career double-double, one shy of Tim Duncan's all-time record.
• Faried scored his 2,000th point in the game, and became the 11th player with 2,000 points and 1,500 rebounds in his career.
• Morehead State shot just 18 of 50 from the field and 2 of 15 from 3-point range.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||18-48 (.375)||26-55 (.473)|
|3P Made-Attempted||2-14 (.143)||4-16 (.250)|
|FT Made-Attempted||10-15 (.667)||9-13 (.692)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||16 (0/0)||12 (0/0)|
|» Mar 19, 2011||@RICH 65, MORE 48||Recap|
Kenneth Faried finished with 29 double-doubles this season. That is tied for the 5th-most in a single season in Division I history. Only 4 players have had more than 29 double-doubles in a season: David Robinson (31 in 1985-86), Jerry West (30 in 1959-60), Xavier McDaniel (30 in 1984-85) and Blake Griffin (30 in 2008-09).
The game between Richmond and Morehead State was the 9th meeting between a 12 and 13 seed in the Men's Basketball Championship. The 12 seeds are now 8-1 in those matchups. The only loss by a 12 seed was in 1998 when 12 seed Florida State lost to 13 seed Valparaiso.
ESPN Stats & Information