7:00 PM ET, January 31, 2011
STORRS, Conn. -- In what was supposed to be a heavyweight matchup, only Connecticut came out swinging.Maya Moore scored 29 points and No. 2 UConn routed Duke 87-51 on Monday night, handing the third-ranked Blue Devils their first loss of the season.The senior All-American also grabbed nine rebounds and dished out seven assists for the Huskies (21-1), who opened the game on a 23-2 run and ran away from the Blue Devils (20-1).
Hays: Near-perfect UConn dismantles Duke
UConn is supposed to be short on depth and perhaps suspect inside. But previously unbeaten Duke found out Monday that all bets are off when a team plays in near-perfect harmony on both ends of the court, Graham Hays writes. Story
• Connecticut handed the nation's final undefeated team its first loss of the season, scoring the first 13 points of the game and jumping out to a 23-2 lead in the game's first 10:59.
• Duke's 15 points in the first half was just three points above the team's lowest point total for a half in school history.
• It was Duke's worst loss since Feb. 13, 1993, when they also lost by 36 points, 97-61 vs Virginia.
• Maya Moore led the way with 29 points and nine rebounds for Connecticut, which has won an NCAA Division I-record 73 straight home games.
• Connecticut has won the last three games in the series, by an average of 31.7 PPG (231-147).
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Team Stat Comparison
|FG Made-Attempted||19-67 (.284)||31-54 (.574)|
|3P Made-Attempted||4-17 (.235)||8-16 (.500)|
|FT Made-Attempted||9-14 (.643)||17-21 (.810)|
|Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)||21 (0/0)||13 (0/0)|
Next 5 Games
Tonight's 36-point loss to Connecticut was tied for the 3rd-worst loss in Duke history during the NCAA era (beginning with the 1981-82 season for women's basketball).[+]
WORST DEFEATS - DUKE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL IN NCAA ERA (SINCE 1981-82 SEASON)
ESPN Stats & Information