8:15 PM ET, December 28, 2008
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, CA
• San Diego wons its fourth straight to clinch the AFC West title for the third consecutive season and earn a home date with the Colts next week.
• At 8-8, the Chargers became the first division champ with a non-winning record since the 1985 Browns. San Diego is also the first team in NFL history to make the playoffs after starting a season 4-8.
• LaDainian Tomlinson's touchdown in the first quarter was his 124th rushing score of his career, breaking a tie with Marcus Allen for the second-most in NFL history. He finished with a season-high three touchdowns on the ground and 96 yards.
• With the loss, the Broncos became the third team in NFL history to have a three-game division lead at one point and then fail to make the postseason, joining the 2003 Vikings and 1978 Packers for the distinction.
• Denver dropped to 5-9 in December over the past three seasons.
-- ESPN research
Gates sprained an ankle and didn't come back. Coach Norv Turner said Tomlinson and Gates could have returned, but the team wanted to be conservative with them. ... Rivers was 15-of-20 for 207 yards.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||6.9||7.7|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-4||6-8|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|FG||11:45||Nate Kaeding 28 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 6 plays, 60 yds, 3:19
|TD||7:42||Tatum Bell 26 Yard Run (Matt Prater Kick is No Good)|
Drive info: 10 plays, 73 yds, 4:05
|TD||2:57||Ladainian Tomlinson 1 Yard Run (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 73 yds, 4:44
|TD||11:39||Brandon Manumaleuna 12 Yard Pass From Philip Rivers (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 72 yds, 4:12
|TD||3:38||Ladainian Tomlinson 4 Yard Run (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 58 yds, 6:10
|TD||12:54||Tatum Bell 37 Yard Run (Matt Prater Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 5 plays, 73 yds, 2:13
|TD||10:06||Darren Sproles 13 Yard Pass From Philip Rivers (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 5 plays, 69 yds, 2:48
|TD||9:48||Ladainian Tomlinson 14 Yard Run (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 1 plays, 14 yds, 0:00
|TD||13:09||Tony Scheffler 25 Yard Pass From Jay Cutler (Jay Cutler Run For Two-Point Conversion is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 75 yds, 2:49
|TD||9:52||Darren Sproles 2 Yard Run (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 66 yds, 3:14
|TD||1:19||Jacob Hester 4 Yard Run (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 11 plays, 70 yds, 7:03