4:45 PM ET, January 11, 2009
Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA
PITTSBURGH -- There is a home-field advantage in the NFL playoffs after all, and it belongs to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
• The Steelers advanced to their fourth AFC Championship Game in the last 10 seasons, the third-most appearances during that span.
• Philip Rivers threw for 103 yards in the first quarter, marking just the fourth time the Steelers have allowed a quarterback to throw for over 100 yards in any quarter this season.
• Speedy Chargers playmaker Darren Sproles finished the game with 274 total yards and a score. Sproles' 602 combined total yards is an NFL record for a two-game playoff span.
• Santonio Holmes' 67-yard punt return in the first quarter was the longest in Steelers postseason history.
• Pittsburgh's 35 points were more than the three other home teams (Titans, Panthers, and Giants) scored this weekend combined (34 points).
-- ESPN research
More from ESPN.com
As former teammates, Jerome Bettis took undrafted free agent Willie Parker under his wing. In turn, Parker has credited Bettis numerous times for his success, James Walker writes. Blog
If the San Diego Chargers want to accomplish their Super Bowl dreams next year, a season-long sense of urgency is badly needed, Bill Williamson writes. Blog
The Steelers have won 11 of their 12 divisional playoff games played in Pittsburgh since the merger in 1970, and most of them haven't been close. The average margin of victory is nearly two touchdowns and eight of the 11 wins have been by double-digits.
|Wins by 10+ pts||8|
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.8||4.9|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-1||4-5|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||1|
|TD||13:08||Vincent Jackson 41 Yard Pass From Philip Rivers (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 75 yds, 2:01
|TD||8:00||Santonio Holmes 67 Yard Punt Return (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 1 plays, 67 yds, 0:00
|FG||2:00||Nate Kaeding 42 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 7 plays, 20 yds, 3:09
|TD||0:45||Willie Parker 3 Yard Run (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 66 yds, 1:16
|TD||7:10||Heath Miller 8 Yard Pass From Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 13 plays, 77 yds, 7:56
|TD||12:56||Gary Russell 1 Yard Run (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 2 plays, 49 yds, 0:49
|TD||9:13||Legedu Naanee 4 Yard Pass From Philip Rivers (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 10 plays, 73 yds, 3:43
|TD||4:17||Willie Parker 16 Yard Run (Jeff Reed Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 73 yds, 4:58
|TD||2:03||Darren Sproles 62 Yard Pass From Philip Rivers (Nate Kaeding Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 79 yds, 0:50