4:15 PM ET, September 13, 2009
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
Manning Up Late
Eli Manning was great when it counted, hitting his stride in the second and fourth quarters of the Giants' victory over the Redskins.
|Quarter||1st & 3rd||2nd & 4th|
Mosley: Giants' D Buys Time
Osi Umenyiora used his knack for rarely ending up on the ground to tip the ball away from Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, race 37 yards for a touchdown, and send a clear signal that this defensive line is poised to return to its past glory, writes Matt Mosley. Blog
• NFC East blog
• The Giants jumped out to a 17-0 lead and held off the Redskins for their sixth win in their last seven games against the Redskins.
• Eli Manning completed 20-of-29 passes for 256 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
• In his first regular-season game since 2007, Osi Umenyiora had a sack that he recovered for a touchdown and recovered a fumble that he returned 37 yards.
• Jason Campbell completed 19-of-26 passes for 211 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
• The Redskins opened the season 0-1 for the third time in the last four years.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Hunter Smith's touchdown run was the second of his career. He had one with Indianapolis on a fake field goal in 2003. ... Giants backup halfback Danny Ware dislocated his left elbow returning the opening kickoff. He watched the second half wearing a sling. ... Manning lost a second-quarter fumble on a play with Carter grabbing his facemask. No call was made. ... With Aaron Ross and Kevin Dockery out, the Giants played with three cornerbacks. Corey Webster, who got into a scuffle with Santana Moss, had an interception.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.4||5.8|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-3||0-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||1|
|FG||7:45||Lawrence Tynes 28 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 12 plays, 67 yds, 7:19
|TD||10:22||Mario Manningham 30 Yard Pass From Eli Manning (Lawrence Tynes Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 44 yds, 3:10
|TD||2:29||Osi Umenyiora 37 Yard Fumble Return (Lawrence Tynes Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 4 plays, 0 yds, 1:38
|TD||0:33||Hunter Smith 8 Yard Run (Shaun Suisham Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 77 yds, 1:50
|FG||0:56||Shaun Suisham 27 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 4 plays, 2 yds, 1:57
|FG||11:08||Lawrence Tynes 45 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 8 plays, 44 yds, 4:47
|FG||3:22||Lawrence Tynes 28 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 10 plays, 66 yds, 6:11
|TD||1:37||Chris Cooley 17 Yard Pass From Jason Campbell (Shaun Suisham Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 7 plays, 72 yds, 1:42