7:00 PM ET, September 14, 2009
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Tom Brady doesn't do mediocre.That's not what all those long rehab sessions and months of preparing for his return to the NFL were about. So while Brady's performance was pedestrian for much of Monday night's season opener, when the spotlight was at its most intense, he lived up to the advance billing.It seemed to take forever, though.A year after being sidelined with torn knee ligaments, Brady resembled a rusty game manager more than the invincible record-setting quarterback who guided the Patriots to a perfect 2007 regular season. Yet, he threw two touchdown passes in the final 2:06 as New England beat the Buffalo Bills 25-24.
• In his first regular-season game since Week 1 of the 2008 season, Tom Brady threw two touchdown passes to Ben Watson in a span of 1:16 late in the fourth quarter to give the Pats their 12th straight win over the Bills. That's tied with the Chargers-Raiders for the longest active streak by one team over another in the NFL.
• Brady finished with a career-high-tying 39 completions in 53 attempts for 378 yards with two scores and an INT. His interception was returned 26 yards for a touchdown by Aaron Schobel, the first time he had a pick returned for a TD since Dec. 26, 2005.
• Randy Moss led all receivers with 141 receiving yards, his 60th career game topping the 100-yard mark. That broke a tie with Marvin Harrison for the second most in NFL history.
• In his Bills debut, Terrell Owens caught two passes, matching his single-game low from 2008, for 46 yards.
• The Bills have now lost their last three MNF games by a combined four points.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Brady bunches up TDs late
Tom Brady returned for the Patriots and was most impressive on the final two drives.
|1st 8 Drives||Last 2 Drives|
Buffalo's other touchdown was an 11-yard reception by Shawn Nelson. Rian Lindell added a 40-yard field goal. ... Gostkowski had field goals of 20 and 28 yards, but only one extra point because the Patriots failed on two 2-point tries after their late touchdowns. ... Fred Jackson, filling in for suspended starting RB Marshawn Lynch, had 57 yards rushing and 83 receiving for Buffalo. ... Bills LB Paul Posluszny broke his arm and DE Chris Kelsay hurt his knee. ... Patriots LB Jerod Mayo, the 2008 Defensive Rookie of the year, injured his right knee.
FOXBORO, MA - SEPTEMBER 14: Quarterback Tom Brady #12 of the New England Patriots warms up before the game...(Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.8||5.7|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-2||3-5|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||1||0|
|TD||02:58||Shawn Nelson 11 Yd Pass From Trent Edwards (Rian Lindell Kick)||7||0|
|TD||06:22||Fred Taylor 1 Yd Run (Stephen Gostkowski Kick)||7||7|
|TD||03:29||Aaron Schobel 26 Yd Interception Return (Rian Lindell Kick)||14||7|
|FG||00:00||Stephen Gostkowski 20 Yd||14||10|
|FG||02:32||Rian Lindell 40 Yd||17||10|
|FG||11:43||Stephen Gostkowski 28 Yd||17||13|
|TD||05:32||Fred Jackson 10 Yd Pass From Trent Edwards (Rian Lindell Kick)||24||13|
|TD||02:06||Benjamin Watson 18 Yd Pass From Tom Brady (Two-Point Conversion Failed)||24||19|
|TD||00:50||Benjamin Watson 16 Yd Pass From Tom Brady (Two-Point Conversion Failed)||24||25|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- Nation blog