8:20 PM ET, December 20, 2009
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- It was supposed to be a night when the Minnesota Vikings celebrated a division title and inched closer to the best record in the NFC.Instead it was night of dropped passes, missed tackles, poor protection -- and a dustup between Brett Favre and the coach who worked so hard to bring him back from retirement.After the Carolina Panthers dominated the fourth quarter Sunday night in a 26-7 win over the Vikings, Favre acknowledged he had a "heated discussion" with coach Brad Childress.
• Even with the loss, the Vikings clinched their second straight NFC North title with the Packers loss earlier in the day. It's the first time since 1977-78 that they've won consecutive division titles.
• This is the Vikings worst loss this season (19 points). They were held to 237 total yards after entering the game averaging 379.0 yards per game and the defense allowed a 100-yard rusher for first time since November 11, 2007.
• Brett Favre failed to throw a TD pass for the second time this season. He's thrown four interceptions in December.
• Adrian Peterson hasn't had a 100-yard rushing game in five games. He's averaged 41.0 rushing yards in the Vikings three losses and 101.1 yards in their 11 wins.
• All three Vikings' losses came on the road where they have been outscored 83-41.
• Matt Moore had his first three-TD game and his 299-passing yards were also a career high.
• Steve Smith's 157 receiving yards were his best this season and his second game with more than 100-yards receiving.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Vikings WR Percy Harvin was held to one catch for 10 yards after missing a game with migraine headaches. Harvin and Childress wouldn't address an NBC report that Harvin will be examined this week for two bulging disks in his neck. ... The Vikings last allowed 100 yards to Green Bay's Ryan Grant in 2007.
CHARLOTTE, NC - DECEMBER 20: Quarterback Brett Favre #4 of the Minnesota Vikings rushes onto the field before...(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.3||5.3|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||1-2||3-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||10:55||Brad Hoover 1 Yd Pass From Matt Moore (Pat Blocked)||0||6|
|TD||05:01||Adrian Peterson 4 Yd Run (Ryan Longwell Kick)||7||6|
|TD||14:49||Steve Smith 42 Yd Pass From Matt Moore (Two-Point Pass Conversion Failed)||7||12|
|TD||09:18||Jonathan Stewart 3 Yd Run (John Kasay Kick)||7||19|
|TD||03:07||Jonathan Stewart 2 Yd Pass From Matt Moore (John Kasay Kick)||7||26|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker