1:00 PM ET, January 17, 2010
Mall of America Field, Minneapolis, MN
Vikings sack Romo six times to advance to NFC title game vs. Saints
MINNEAPOLIS -- "This is what I came back for."For the adrenaline rush. For the in-your-face touchdown. For another shot at the Super Bowl.Brett Favre wanted all of it, and now he's got it.
More on Cowboys-Vikings
Brett Favre's performance in leading the Vikings to the NFC title game is nothing short of remarkable, writes Gene Wojciechowski. Story
Cowboys made strides this season, but loss to Vikings shows they're not yet elite, as ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins details. Story
Cowboys QB Tony Romo didn't lose this one, and he never had a chance to win it. ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon breaks it down. Story
Minnesota battered Tony Romo, resurrecting its pass rush just in time to face the NFL's most explosive passing game, writes Kevin Seifert. Blog
In his NFC East blog, ESPN.com's Matt Mosley details the abrupt end to the Cowboys' season. Blog
Opposite Of Clutch
Dallas QB Tony Romo was harassed by Vikings defenders all afternoon and couldn't convert when it counted most.
• Brett Favre threw four TD passes for the first time in a playoff game -- including three to Sidney Rice -- and the Vikings advanced to their first NFC Championship Game since the 2000 season.
• Minnesota sacked Tony Romo six times and forced three turnovers. Romo threw one interception and fumbled the ball three times, losing two of them.
• Minnesota will play at New Orleans -- the third No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup in the NFC Championship Game in the last six seasons.
• Rice is the first player in Vikings' franchise history with three TD receptions in a playoff game.
• This was the Vikings' second-largest margin of victory in a playoff game, while the Cowboys suffered their second-worst defeat in a playoff game.
• Ray Edwards had three of Minnesota's six sacks, tying a franchise record for sacks in a game.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Rice's three TDs set a Vikings playoff record and tied the NFL record. ... Sen. Al Franken and baseball star Torii Hunter, who played for the Twins but is a Cowboys fan, were among those in attendance. ... TE Jason Witten led Dallas with 10 catches and 98 yards. ... Cowboys LT Flozell Adams hurt his leg late in the second quarter and didn't return.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MINNEAPOLIS - JANUARY 17: Quarterback Brett Favre #4 of the Minnesota Vikings warms up before the game against...(Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||3.8||5.4|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||0-1||2-4|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||04:04||Sidney Rice 47 Yd Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick)||0||7|
|FG||12:11||Shaun Suisham 33 Yd||3||7|
|TD||07:23||Sidney Rice 16 Yd Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick)||3||14|
|FG||03:46||Ryan Longwell 23 Yd||3||17|
|FG||14:23||Ryan Longwell 28 Yd||3||20|
|TD||07:32||Sidney Rice 45 Yd Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick)||3||27|
|TD||01:55||Visanthe Shiancoe 11 Yd Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick)||3||34|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation