6:40 PM ET, January 24, 2010
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA
Saints seal trip to Super Bowl after Favre throws late interception
NEW ORLEANS -- A 40-yard field goal in overtime by a little-known kicker could become as famous as jambalaya in these parts.The New Orleans Saints, a team with no home and an uncertain future five years ago, are heading for their first Super Bowl. By battering Brett Favre and beating the Minnesota Vikings 31-28 Sunday, they set off celebrations on Bourbon Street that locals never could have imagined in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
More from ESPN.com
The Vikings' loss in the NFC title game will be a painful memory for Brett Favre, writes Gene Wojciechowski. Story
The team that once was called the Aints and had fans wearing bags over their heads, is going to the Super Bowl, writes Pat Yasinskas. Blog
Brett Favre's season ended in similar fashion to his end to the 2007 season -- with a late INT that helped seal his team's loss.
|Result||L, 23-20 (OT)||L, 31-28 (OT)|
• The Saints advanced to their first Super Bowl and became the first home team to win a conference championship game in overtime.
• This is the first time since 1993 that the two No. 1 seeds will face off in the Super Bowl.
• Brett Favre threw two interceptions to take over the record for the most INTs by a QB in postseason history with 30. He also set the record for career postseason passing yards and career postseason pass completions.
• Garrett Hartley won the game with a 40-yard field goal, joining Rich Karlis, Morten Andersen and Lawrence Tynes as the only kickers to win a conference title game with an OT field goal.
• The Vikings had six fumbles, two shy of the single-game postseason record.
• Adrian Peterson tied a conference championship record and set a Vikings postseason record with three rushing TDs.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
The crowd of 71,276 was the largest in the Superdome for a Saints game. ... Favre finished 28 of 46 for 310 yards. Brees went 17 of 31 for 197 yards and three TDs. ... With New Orleans having the only possession of overtime, it could spark more protests about the NFL's sudden-death overtime system.
NEW ORLEANS - JANUARY 24: New Orleans Saints fan Lionel Alphonso from Violet, Louisanna poses for a photo outside...(Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from Penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||5.8||4.7|
Comp - Att
Yards per pass
Sacks - Yards Lost
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||4-6||3-3|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||09:35||Adrian Peterson 19 Yd Run (Ryan Longwell Kick)||7||0|
|TD||06:30||Pierre Thomas 38 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (Garrett Hartley Kick)||7||7|
|TD||02:11||Sidney Rice 5 Yd Pass From Brett Favre (Ryan Longwell Kick)||14||7|
|TD||10:30||Devery Henderson 9 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (Garrett Hartley Kick)||14||14|
|TD||12:56||Pierre Thomas 9 Yd Run (Garrett Hartley Kick)||14||21|
|TD||07:35||Adrian Peterson 1 Yd Run (Ryan Longwell Kick)||21||21|
|TD||12:39||Reggie Bush 5 Yd Pass From Drew Brees (Garrett Hartley Kick)||21||28|
|TD||04:58||Adrian Peterson 2 Yd Run (Ryan Longwell Kick)||28||28|
|FG||10:15||Garrett Hartley 40 Yd||28||31|
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker