1:00 PM ET, September 26, 2010
Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, NC
Carson Palmer recovers in fourth as Bengals spoil Jimmy Clausen's debut
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jimmy Clausen took a hard shot to the ribs and crumpled to the turf just after releasing his final pass Sunday, a fourth-down heave into the end zone that fell incomplete.His miserable day wasn't over as he staggered to his feet. Fiery teammate Steve Smith was waiting on the sideline with a tongue-lashing.
• Cedric Benson's TD in the first quarter was the Bengals first TD in the opening quarter since Week 11 of last season. Benson is the first Bengals running back with a receiving and rushing TD in the same game since Corey Dillon in 2001.
• Jimmy Clausen threw for 188 yards with an interception in his first career start.
• The Panthers started the season 0-3 in consecutive years for the first time in team history.
• The Panthers were held to single digits in points in two straight games for the first time since 2007. Carolina had the ball for only 23:38 and was 2 of 11 on third-down conversions.
• The Bengals have won five of their last six games against the NFC.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Panthers S Charles Godfrey had his third interception. ... Panthers LB Jamar Williams (neck) didn't return after a first-quarter collision on a punt return. ... Brian Leonard ran for a Cincinnati first down on a direct snap off a fake punt in the second quarter, and later ran 6 yards on a pitch on fourth-and-1.
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||4.1||4.6|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-4||1-2|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|TD||4:27||Cedric Benson 1 Yard Run (Mike Nugent Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 53 yds, 4:33
|FG||1:13||Mike Nugent 33 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 9 plays, 27 yds, 4:13
|TD||8:22||Jonathan Stewart 1 Yard Run (John Kasay Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 8 plays, 75 yds, 3:23
|FG||14:58||Mike Nugent 50 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 7 plays, 18 yds, 2:51
|TD||8:16||Cedric Benson 7 Yard Pass From Carson Palmer (Mike Nugent Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 3 plays, 37 yds, 0:53