1:00 PM ET, November 7, 2010
FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland, OH
CLEVELAND -- When the scoreboard clock finally showed zeros, Bill Belichick walked slowly across the torn-up field to meet Cleveland's coach, his protege and estranged friend, amid a swarm of players and photographers.Belichick found Eric Mangini, looked him in the eye and offered his hand.It was time to concede defeat, one as thorough as any in recent memory."I congratulated him," Belichick said.
• Cleveland won back-to-back games for the first time this season while also snapping New England's five-game win streak.
• The loss was the Patriots' first to a team that was at least four games under .500 at the time of the game since losing to the 2-11 Dolphins in 2004.
• Colt McCoy had his first career rushing touchdown, making him the only Brown other than Peyton Hillis with a rushing TD this season.
• The Patriots turned it over three times after committing just six turnovers in their first seven games.
• With Stephen Gostkowski hurt, Wes Welker kicked an extra point, the second of his career and first since 2004.
-- ESPN Stats & Information
Belichick said Gostkowski's leg tightened up. He will be re-evaluated Monday. ... Mangini improved to 3-5 vs. Belichick. ... Mangini is also 4-1 in his career after a bye week. ... The Browns recorded season-highs in points, first downs (22), total yards (404) and time of possession (38:08).
Team Stat Comparison
Passing 1st downs
Rushing 1st downs
1st downs from penalties
3rd down efficiency
4th down efficiency
|Yards per play||4.8||6.4|
Yards per pass
Yards per rush
|Red Zone (Made-Att)||2-3||3-4|
|Defensive / Special Teams TDs||0||0|
|FG||11:53||Phil Dawson 38 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 6 plays, 42 yds, 3:11
|TD||11:17||Peyton Hillis 2 Yard Run (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 2 plays, 19 yds, 0:38
|TD||8:48||Aaron Hernandez 2 Yard Pass From Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 11 plays, 79 yds, 5:01
|TD||3:30||Chansi Stuckey 11 Yard Run (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 9 plays, 60 yds, 5:20
|TD||6:05||Colt Mccoy 16 Yard Run (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 10 plays, 72 yds, 7:00
|FG||10:49||Phil Dawson 37 Yard Field Goal is Good|
Drive info: 13 plays, 61 yds, 7:48
|TD||6:42||Aaron Hernandez 1 Yard Pass From Tom Brady (Wes Welker Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 14 plays, 69 yds, 4:08
|TD||2:47||Peyton Hillis 35 Yard Run (Phil Dawson Kick is Good)|
Drive info: 6 plays, 60 yds, 3:59
Browns RB Peyton Hillis carried the ball six times for 59 yards (9.8 yds per carry) and a touchdown on Sunday when the Patriots had eight or more defenders in the box. Entering Week 9, the Patriots had allowed only 1.3 yards per carry with eight in the box, fourth-best in the NFL. Hillis also rushed for three first downs in those situations, half the total that the Patriots had allowed in their first seven games this season (6).
ESPN Stats & Information